Labels

Saturday 19 June 2010

Reading list...


What are you reading?

I just finished reading Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich and right now am 1/3 of the way through The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I have to say, I am loving the Memory Keeper's Daughter but, while I adore Ms Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Series, I will not recommend Motor Mouth. I have 1/2 a dozen books sitting on my nightstand waiting for my attention as well as a list of must reads that I will eventually go knocking on the libraries door for.

While I am obesessed with collecting books for little Ryan (I counted last night and she has exactly 275 books upstairs, not to mention the boxes and shelves downstairs.  I think the actual count would be close to 400) I do not collect them myself.  I love it when books are passed on to me and I equally adore passing them on.  The books I have here are ones that are waiting to be read, and not for the first time.  In my adult life I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times that I have bought a book brand new. This is probably why I've never joined a book club.  I love to scour the ongoing book sale at our local library and the shelvcs of thrift stores and second hand book stores.  I love the idea that someone has taken the time to select and read this book before me and that they turned every page exactly like I am doing.

Amy Tan, Jodi Picoult and Maeve Binchy,  Janet Evanovich too name only a few. I have read (and loved) the Twilight series including the only-available-online-incomplete 'Midnight Sun' that some moron was thoughless enough to let into the wrong hands before Stephanie Meyer was done (3 cheers - now we may never get the rest of the story). I am contemplating the True Blood series (what is it with the vampires - they're facinating!) and I can't wait to read more Jodi Picoult.

Reading comes and goes in cycles for me as well.  For some reason, I love to read in the spring and summer.  I don't read with the goal of being a literary master.  After I finished university I am slightly embarrased to say that I read my way through about 1 dozen Lavyrle Spencer books.  You probably don't know her... She writes for Harlequin and branched out on her own for a while.  There seemed always to to a time travel twist in the books I remember.  Anyway, I just needed some garbage for the brain after 4 years of text books.

Here's a little irony for you...  I started this post a couple of days ago and just didn't have a chance to finish it.  So this morning I headed out yardsaling bright and early with my friend Pam and I found the find of all finds!  This book, Socks for Supper was my FAVOURITE book as a child.  When my sister-in-law became pregnant for their first child I sent it to them... Then along came Ryan and I wanted it back!  I have scoured the city and Kijiji and e-bay trying to find it and there it was, sitting in a box of textbooks at a yardsale.  I gave avery audible gasp when I saw it and everyone there wanted to know what I'd found.  When I asked 'the lady' how much she jokingly said '$30'.  The funny thing is I probably would have paid it!  I didn't pay anything for it though - Pam bought me this awesome memory of my childhood!  Oh, and I picked up a couple more for Ryan as well!


2 comments:

Kimmartha said...

I too love to read - and summer is my high season for reading! Last summer I read 17 novels - not too shabby! I do know who LaVyrle Spencer is - and have several of her books. Although I prefer to call them "brain candy" - heehee!!

PS - the Twilight series is in my reading plan again this summer - love it!!

PamelaM said...

I am still all happy for you on your big find today. I am sure we could have heard a pin drop when you did the big "gasp".

I love books too but find it a bit overwhelming at yard sales. I need to figure out if it is a series and if it's the first book. That's the reason I didn't get the book (about the boy who was abused) because you mentioned there were books before it. I know...weird of me.

Pretty soon R will be able to open her own library.